Sunday, July 30, 2006

I do not want....

I do not want to talk about massacres
I do not want to talk about what defines a massacre? How many children have to be killed to be counted as a massacre? How many smaller Qana massacres have been forced upon us by the US/Israeli hand in these weeks? in these years? How many more to come? How many larger Qana massacres?

I do not want to talk about massacres
I do not want to talk about children's dreams stolen from them, children being killed while on their mother's breasts.
I do not want to talk about the one-day old baby killed by the Israelis.
I do not want to talk about the father who lost his entire family yesterday. And the fathers who lost their entire families today. And tomorrow? What about tomorrow?

I do not want to talk about self-defense.
How butchered that very word has become.
I do not want to talk about how mainstream western journalists use the term self defense only when referring to Israel and the term terrorist only when referring to Lebanese. Is our life simply less valuable?
When will we be granted the right to "self defense"?
Then again, I don't want that right.
I don't want the right to commit the massacres the Israelis have grown all to fond to commit against us (and against our Palestinian brothers)

I do not want to talk about self-defense
I do not want to talk about how Israeli fighter jets have been hovering intensely, as I write these words, over the skies in
Tripoli
Ba'albeck
and El Koura
Do you know how it feels? To see enemy fighter jets over your cities, your villages, your homes, and to know that they have the ability to destroy your city, your village, your home, to kill you, or worse, to kill your family, and to know, all the while, that you do not have the power to protect yourself against those fighter jets?
And they talk about self-defense.

No. I do not want to talk about any of this.

I want to talk about my mother.
My mother, worried for her daughter's safety.

I remember the words that June Jordan wrote in her poem 'Moving Towards Home,' written after the Sabra and Shatila Massacre

"I need to speak about living room
where the land is not bullied and beaten into
a tombstone
I need to speak about living room
where the talk will take place in my language
I need to speak about living room
where my children will grow without horror
I need to speak about living room where the men
of my family between the ages of six and sixty-five
are not
marched into a roundup that leads to the grave
I need to talk about living room
where I can sit without grief without wailing aloud
for my loved ones
where I must not ask where is Abu Fadi
because he will be there beside me
I need to talk about living room
because I need to talk about home

I was born a Black woman
and now
I am become a Palestinian
against the relentless laughter of evil
there is less and less living room
and where are my loved ones?

It is time to make our way home."



Born Lebanese. Born Arab.
Naturalized American.

What does it all mean?

Time to make our way home.
To a place where human life is regarded as a life, and not as a calculation for a political end

- Rania Masri
El Koura, Lebanon

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I don't know what to say. I'm in the US, where I was born and raised, and I'm surrounded by so many people that don't realize the truth of the situation, they think Israel is the victim here, they believe everything they hear on the TV.

I'm outraged by what I see happening to the Lebanese people. I have a daughter myself, she's 2 years old...I'm only 21...the deaths of these innocent children have me in tears, it's 2am right now and I just can't sleep...

I wish there were something I could do. But I have no ties to any muslim community or organization, because I'm not muslim nor arab...and they seem to be the only ones in this country that know the truth of what's happening...I've tried searching for Muslim organizations in my area to see if any efforts are being made to help the situation, to pressure our politicians, or to flat out protest...but I can't find anything.


I just wanted to tell you that you and all of the Lebanese people are in my prayers.

Please pray for me to find a way to help.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen the same planes, heard their roar, seen the bombs and breathed the destruction...in Vieques, Puerto Rico.

We will make them stop...because we must.

in solidarity,
your boricua sister

7:41 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I think you people would get a lot further by stating truthful comments. Hizbollah started this war by attacking Israel’s civilians. Hizbollah fires rockets at Israeli citizens while hiding behind Lebanese citizens, using them as shields. Hizbollah is responsible for all the deaths on both sides. Israel has every right to defend itself like any other country. Israel has over 1 million people forced from their homes (refuges as you call them). You should be saving the world from Hizbollah.

No matter how you feel about it, the truth is:
* If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.
* If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous saveaworld said...

Here is a tale of a Lebanese woman (video) goto http://
tudorproductions.com/media/
Duke_Brigitte_interview.wmv

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree with Rachel. Everone seems to have forgotten the idiots who started this. What about all the suicide bombs on the buses in Isael, all the rockets fired and Israel did not retaliate. The solution is in the hands of the Lebanees, throw out the terorists, throw stones at them like you did to the Israel soldiers. Stop the war you alowed to start. I also remember how you cheered when boms landed in Israel. How does it feel to get them back.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check it ou homes poplar wood siding if your building homes go to Http://siding11.com/side.pl?y=helper. butt if you want to learn to install siding then.....

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home