Tuesday, August 01, 2006

cityblogging

after yesterday's extremely depressing and upsetting morning news i went running (which is always a sensible thing when you don't know what to do and/or are angry). during that run i was thinking what to do about the whole situation and finally came up with something that seemed like a sensible idea:

in the last two weeks mazen kerbaj's drawings have been one of the strongest most vivid expressions of the whole mess that is unfolding in lebanon that i came across (to the extend that i am dissapointed every time i wake up and there are no new ones) . now what are drawings if not posters-in-waiting that can easily been printed out and stuck against the walls of the city? clearly one only has to print them out, copy them a couple of times, get wallpaper-glue and head out into the night (ok, first wait some 10 hours for night). so i spend some of sunday night sticking a4 sized mini-posters all over the walls of my neighborhood (the pijp) in amsterdam.

after 19 days i started to cry ...


more pictures taken on monday morning before going to work on my flickr account.

yesterday evening i did a second round (around Leidseplein in the center), and i am planning to continue for the next couple of nights. hopefully these relatively small posters will catch some eyeballs and make more people think and start expressing their outrage.

apart from the obvious advantage of making me feel like i am doing something about the situation, i also like this little action on a symbolic level. it feels like translating a blog (something normally contained to the internets) into something that is part of the urban fabric. i like the idea of images leaking from my screen into the streets of amsterdam and would probably be even more beautiful if people in other cities started doing the same... (in case you feel like it here are a4-sized printable versions of some of mazen's drawings)

Paul Keller, Amsterdam

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the people of Lebanon and Palestine know true peace and may the Israeli aggressor be defeated.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous maggie said...

eh, funny. just yesterday i had the same impulse, printed and glued a bunch of mazen's drawings around miami...

10:43 PM  
Blogger F. Zehra Rizvi said...

Hi,

Is there ANY advice anyone out there can give me on how I can get myself over to Beirut from New York City? I am a humanitariam worker but do not want to come with a big agency and would prefer to work with smaller local organizations in makeshift camps. I will pay my own way etc, I just need to know how I can get there all the way from here, with airports, bridges and roads destroyed. Also, is Syria being very strict about visas for Americans who are trying to get into lebanon? I know they are not anymore the other way around.

please advise!! f.zehrarizvi@gmail.com. Thanks. Zehra.

9:19 AM  
Blogger F. Zehra Rizvi said...

Hi,

Is there ANY advice anyone out there can give me on how I can get myself over to Beirut from New York City? I am a humanitariam worker but do not want to come with a big agency and would prefer to work with smaller local organizations in makeshift camps. I will pay my own way etc, I just need to know how I can get there all the way from here, with airports, bridges and roads destroyed. Also, is Syria being very strict about visas for Americans who are trying to get into lebanon? I know they are not anymore the other way around.

please advise!! f.zehrarizvi@gmail.com. Thanks. Zehra.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I think you people would get a lot further by stating truthful comments. Hizbollah started this war by attacking Israel’s civilians. Hizbollah fires rockets at Israeli citizens while hiding behind Lebanese citizens, using them as shields. Hizbollah is responsible for all the deaths on both sides. Israel has every right to defend itself like any other country. Israel has over 1 million people forced from their homes (refuges as you call them). You should be saving the world from Hizbollah.

No matter how you feel about it, the truth is:
* If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence.
* If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous saveaworld said...

Here is a tale of a Lebanese woman (video) goto http://
tudorproductions.com/media/
Duke_Brigitte_interview.wmv

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home